Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Why the Achievement Gap? This ex-Edison student will tell you. She now attends a Charter...

By Karen Romero , ThreeSixty
July 21, 2009

I think one of the most important reasons for Minnesota’s big racial gap in graduation rates and test scores is the economic situation in many families. Like the majority of the Latino immigrant students I know, I have to work after school to help my family here and in Mexico. Consequently, I don’t have enough time to study or to do my homework in the evening.

I came to Minnesota two years ago to be able to go to continue my education because in Mexico my parents couldn’t afford to pay for the books, uniforms, transportation, and other things Mexican students pay for...

To read this article (and please do), go to the TC Daily Planet website.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. i said why is there an achievement gap between white , Hispanics ,a African Americans student ...why is there a gap ....?!?

    ReplyDelete